From: dhk <dhkuhl@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Messed up system time caused messed up file modification times...
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 20:50:08
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Monday 25 January 2010 18:05:14 Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >>> Hi,
5 >>> I've just rebuilt my new machine this morning playing with
6 >>> different ways to do things. Unfortunately I went sort of fast and
7 >>> forgot to set date/time/timezone. (Doing too much from memory this
8 >>> time.) Now when I try to set the system time to local and the hardware
9 >>> clock to Pacific time and turn on ntp-client/ntpd I'm getting lots of
10 >>> complaints about modification times in the future.
11 >>>
12 >>> This is completely my mistake and I can start over and fix it in a
13 >>> couple of hours but I'm wondering if there's an easy way out of this?
14 >> Unless your atimes were wildly out I think that it should at some point settle
15 >> down and stop complaining. Have you rebooted since?
16 >>
17 >> --
18 >> Regards,
19 >> Mick
20 >>
21 > Yes, I've rebooted a number of time, but I've since set everything
22 > back to settings that don't complain.
23 >
24 > I was off by 8 hours I think - Pacific time vs what - GMT? Maybe it
25 > would be OK after 8 hours? that would be OK but I'm nervous about
26 > using the machine in the meantime because it's huge numbers of
27 > messages and every file edit is a complaint.
28 >
29 > Maybe set it up right this afternoon, leave the machine alone, and
30 > then wait until tomorrow morning?
31 >
32 > Thanks Mick!
33 >
34 > - Mark
38 This happened to me a while back and it was my fault too. I was doing
39 the setup from memory and I made a link to /usr/share/zoneinfo/EST5EDT
40 instead of copying it to /etc/localtime. I found my bios time was not
41 right, I forget why, but I would set the time in the bios and after
42 rebooting it was wrong again. I think I was sync'ing the time with
43 hwclock and since I was only six hours off it eventually cleared up
44 overnight. Also check /etc/conf.d/clock and make sure you don't have
45 anything unusual in there.
46
47 dhk