From: Tsukasa Mcp_Reznor <Mcp_Reznor@×××××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] #gentoo experiences
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2017 01:13:18
1 ________________________________
2 From: Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o>
3 Sent: Sunday, November 19, 2017 7:56 AM
4 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 Subject: [gentoo-user] #gentoo experiences
6
7 Hi all,
8
9 I'm collecting information about people's experiences in #gentoo.
10
11 I'm interested in both good and bad experiences, with users, developers,
12 and operators. Basically, anything that anyone would care to share would
13 be much appreciated.
14
15 Feel free to contact me off-list if you'd rather not reply here (if so,
16 please let me know if you'd like your response kept totally private -
17 otherwise there is a chance that I might anonymise and share it).
18
19 Kind regards,
20
21 Michael
28 Personally, I've always loved the pure customizability, started on slackware back in the day, redhat, mandrake (lol), moved to bsd's for a bit, then ubuntu/fedora. Finally when I found gentoo and gave it a shot, must admit I remember the installing was a bit much for my level back then. Been learning ever since, it's quite shocking how well I handle all sorts of init scripts, portage nuances, and such now.
29
30 Most things about gentoo have always been top-notch, the only things that do come up from time to time just require some patience to get through. Example package X version Y won't compile, you have many choices, read the errors, see if a dependency perhaps needs fixed/added/updated. See if maybe it's a simple build option that needs added or removed from the ebuild, or possibly a USE flag change. Then the more often then not answer if you aren't in dire need of package X right then, is simply to wait a week, then it'll magically work as someone else using gentoo has found the issue and fixed it.
31
32 If anyone new to gentoo is reading the mailing list, I would heavily suggest only have vital packages in your world file, never GCC or anything else that gets pulled in by everything under the sun, it just makes emerging more hassle then needed on rare occasions.
33
34 Hope that helps your cause Michael :)
35 Tsukasa