From: "Anthony E. Caudel" <tony.caudel@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] GRUB w/ external drive (was UUID)
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 12:56:17
1 Josh Cepek wrote:
2 > Anthony E. Caudel wrote:
3 >> Michael Schmarck wrote:
4 >>> · Anthony E. Caudel <tony.caudel@×××××××××.net>:
5 >>>
6 >>>
7 >>>> I have noticed in some distros (namely Ubuntu) that the fstab uses
8 >>>> UUID's rather than /dev references. Is this a better way?
9 >>>>
10 >>>> Does it eliminate the problem of /dev references changing when
11 >>>> another drive, i.e., an external USB drive, is plugged in? The
12 >>>> /dev references may change but the UUID's in fstab wouldn't, would
13 >>>> they?
14 >>>>
15 >>>
16 >>> Correct. UUIDs are universally unique (as the name already
17 >>> "suggests" *g*)
18 >>> and thus, there cannot be a clash.
19 >>>
20 >>> Michael Schmarck
21 >>>
22 >> Any chance that GRUB will ever use these? I have a sata hd carrier
23 >> and when I reboot with it plugged in, grub sees the disk order
24 >> differently and gives me problems (I either have to get a grub
25 >> command line and boot manually or use a Grub boot floppy).
26 >
27 > As long as your BIOS is passing off control to the correct drive when
28 > both are plugged in a boot, what about using GRUB's fallback feature?
29 > Say your bootable partition is normally (hd0,0), but with your
30 > external drive plugged in the proper partition becomes (hd1,0)
31 > instead. You can duplicate your GRUB config with (hd1,0) for the
32 > root entry and specify that as a fallback option. Then as long as
33 > GRUB gets control your system is still bootable.
34 >
35 > If the BIOS is trying to boot off the removable drive, I suppose you
36 > could install GRUB on it too with a similar setup, but that obviously
37 > doesn't scale well beyond a single computer with a known boot
38 > configuration.
39 >
40 Interesting! This Fallback feature of GRUB bears investigation. Thanks.
41
42 Tony
45 Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
46 -- Benjamin Franklin
49 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list