From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How do you upgrade postgresql?
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2016 17:43:29
1 On Saturday 13 Feb 2016 12:27:54 Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 02/13/2016 12:16 PM, Mick wrote:
3 > > Thank you both, I used pg_dumpall, but when I tried to restore it with
4 > >
5 > > psql -f postgress_20160213 postgres
6 > >
7 > > it complained that user 'michael' doesn't exist. Then tried logged in as
8 > > root, whereby it complained that user 'root' doesn't exist. Then I 'su -
9 > > postgres' and it restored the database. Is this how I am supposed to
10 > > restore from a backup?
11 > >
12 > > I only run postgres for KDEPIM's akonadi, which seems to work fine post-
13 > > upgrade. :-)
14 >
15 > That works sort of by accident. If you don't specify a username on the
16 > command-line, psql will try to log you in to postgresql using your
17 > system username -- "michael", for you. When you ran psql as root, it
18 > tried to log you into postgresql as the "root" postgresql user, and he
19 > doesn't exist.
20 >
21 > The default admin user built-in to postgresql is called "postgres", so
22 > if you just happen to run psql as the system "postgres" user, it will
23 > try to log you in as "postgres" and it will work.
24 >
25 > If you run "psql -U postgres" it should achieve the same thing. And if
26 > you don't want to have to remember that, you can create a ~/.pgpass file
27 > that says to always use the "postgres" database user:
28 >
29 > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/libpq-pgpass.html
30
31 Thank you Michael. It was pretty painless TBH, almost as easy as upgrading
32 mysql. ;-) Your page also nicely details the alternative, which I did not
33 try out.
34 --
35 Regards,
36 Mick