From: Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] plain copy of root disk won't work
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 15:30:46
1 I want to move the main disk contents (hda, PATA) to another, larger
2 disk (sda, SATA).
3
4 hda contains 4 ext3 partitions (root, home, data, swap).
5 I created 4 ext3 partitions on sda and copied the data over from the
6 corresponding hda partitions using 'cp -ax'.
7 Then I chroot into sda1, 'grub-install /dev/sda', grub-mkconfig and edit
8 fstab to use sda instead of hda.
9 Reboot, from the non-UEFI bios change the disk boot order and try to
10 boot from sda.
11 grub from the sda starts, loads the kernel from sda1, the kernel finds
12 the root file system and mounts it RO but then the process stops at the
13 end of the kernel boot. No kernel panic, just hangs there with the last
14 kernel message before openrc. Openrc is not started.
15
16 What might I be missing?
17
18 thanks,