From: "A. Khattri" <ajai@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] user command auditing
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 15:22:38
1 On Wed, 16 Jul 2008, Richard Marzan wrote:
2
3 > Is there a tool or a way of keeping track of which commands user's are
4 > executing on a system? I understand that history files can be wiped out
5 > and they don't really contain the time at which a command and it's
6 > arguments were run so I refrain from relying on it.
7
8 On traditional UNIX systems, system accounting logs (usually called
9 acct) can be read via the lastcomm command. Im guessing that the
10 sys-process/acct ebuild will give you those commands.
11
12 NOTE: You will also need kernel support for process/login accounting -
13 look for "process accounting" in your kernel config and make sure it is
14 switched on. (Natrually, you will need to rebuild your kernel / modules if
15 it isn't switched on and reboot to activate it).
18 UPDATE: I just checked one of my kernels and the config option is called
19 "BSD-style process accouting" - it lives in General Setup when configuring
20 a kernel.
24 A
25 --
26 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list