From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How to convert and watch dav video file?
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 06:58:14
1 Gevisz <gevisz <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > I have to watch a lot of dav video files and possibly convert
5 > them to a more common video format like avi or mp4.
6
7 TI has a proprietary h.264 implemetation, encoding and encryption technology
8 built into various processors and DSPs, know as DaVinci [1]. The proprietary
9 videos are stored in a propriatary format. They provide a high-performance
10 TI DaVinci series DSP H.264 video. Many asian manufacturers
11 use a bastardized versions known as h.264-lite (AVCHD lite). Acutally,
12 the chineese video offering is a plethora of divergence and your experience,
13 vendor to vendor can vary widely. TI is the 800 lb gorilla in the h.264
14 space, probably providing the raw technology to 80% of the manufactures
15 of anything that runs h.264, or licensing via their patents on h.264.
16
17 There are tools/software to convert these video clips to other formats,
18 as you like, under windows, readily available[2].
19
20 You run into a lot of bullshit, deception and re-branding in this effort,
21 both from the camera and headend (storage) devices, as well as the snakes
22 that license these offering. All pay homage to MPLA (bastards). [3] TI
23 is one of the largest h.264 patent holders that MPLA enforces.
24
25 Here is an interesting discussion about a linux SDK [4].
26
27 A posible slick (but expensive) way to do this is purchase an expensive
28 package, like Sony's Vegas Pro12. I hear that is does everything, but,
29 I have not tried to work with .dav files.......
30
31 I have not tried the latest offering of handbrake, but since it is voiced
32 to be stable and capable, I am interested in this possibility too.
33
34 hth,
35 James
36