From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] boot failure using root=LABEL=RAID1root but not LABEL=RAID6root
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 23:12:16
1 On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 2:59 PM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Gentoo Installation, Kernel Panic
3
4 OK, thanks. Yes, in the last post of that thread Nilesh states
5
6 "Since I use grub2-mkconfig to generate the configuration, it's there
7 with UUID, but it works with LABEL as well, I have tried it.
8 Also, *don't* build your kernel *without* initramfs, because the
9 kernel by default doesn't support mounting by LABELs or UUIDs (I think
10 so, I've had failures w/o initrd)."
11
12 While I don't know Nilesh's background, I have no reason to really
13 doubt what he says here I seem to find a lot of posts on the web where
14 people mount using UUID and they aren't clear as to whether they have
15 an initramfs or not.
16
17 I'll consider this solved for now with one caveat that it's unclear
18 when you build the initramfs what tools have to be placed within it to
19 make the following true.
20
21 1) No initramfs - mount by device name only
22
23 2) With initramfs - mount by device name, label or UUID.
24
25 Thanks VERY MUCH for taking the time to find this. I'm removing the
26 offending option from my grub.config file.
27
28 Cheers,
29 Mark