From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] gtk+-2.x, adwaita, gsettings and all that
Date: Mon, 01 May 2017 18:35:50
1 I remember there was a thread about these topics, but I think it was
2 only in the context of resolving build conflicts. That is not my
3 problem: I can build and merge these packages just fine.
4
5 My problem is that the adwaita theme, on which the last stable gtk+2
6 depends, gives a totally new look to my desktop. Round buttons instead
7 of square ones, menus not clearly set off from the background,
8 minimalist scroll-bars without thumbs or arrows, etc. The last example
9 also shows that the changes go beyond mere looks into functionality, and
10 in the end that's why this "upgrade" will remain a no-no for me.
11
12 Up until now, I have been masking the last gtk+2 version to prevent this
13 from going through, but I worry about the security implications. So I
14 am looking for a way to let the new packages in but then configure gtk
15 to get the old facade back. But I don't know how: I have always used
16 the gtk defaults for these things because they were agreeable enough.
17
18 So how do I configure this stuff, given that I do _not_ use gnome or any
19 other integrated desktop? I just need to edit some text files, dammit.
20 Which ones and what edits are needed? Or maybe I need to install
21 another theme and use it instead of adwaita, but then how to tell this
22 to gtk?
25 Please *no* private Cc: on mailing lists and newsgroups
26 Personal signed mail: please _encrypt_ and sign
27 Don't clear-text sign:
28 http://primate.net/~itz/blog/the-problem-with-gpg-signatures.html