From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to get raid
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 10:23:27
1 Am Mittwoch, 4. Januar 2012, 22:45:45 schrieb Jeff Cranmer:
2 > On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 04:01 +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > the short one:
4 > >
5 > > partition one disk with (c)fdisk. Use sfdisk to transfer the partition
6 > > scheme to the other disks.
7 > >
8 > > run mdadm --create /dev/md0 level=whatever you want --raid-
9 > > devices=thenumberofdevices /dev/sdXY /dev/sdZY ...
10 > >
11 > > mdadm --detail --scan >> /etc/mdadm.conf
12 > >
13 > > done
14 >
15 > OK, but there is active data on the disks, so I don't want to partition
16 > them. They should already partitioned, and running fdisk will erase the
17 > data.
18
19 first rule:
20
21 always mount a scratch monkey
22
23 In your case: always backup data.
24
25 There is a way to preserve the data on one disk, create a raid5 with one disk
26 missing, then copying the data onto the raid and add the disk.
27
28 But that is high risk stuff.
31 > If I run mdadm --create /dev/md0 level=5
32 > --raid-devices=3 /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /dev/sdd, will that erase data
33 > already on the disks?
34 >
35 > Prior to running this command, there is no /dev/md entry. Is this
36 > correct?
37
38 yes. You might have to create the nodes with mknod - my memory is sketchy
39 there.
42 > Looking further by using fdisk, it appears that sdc has a linux
43 > partition on sdc1 starting at sector 34, and a GPT partition of size 0+
44 > at /dev/sdc4, sector 0. Nothing else is on that disk (no sdc2 or sdc3).
45 >
46 > sdd and sdb report invalid partition table flags and do not appear to
47 > have active partitions. Does this make sense?
48
49 if you used fakeraid before, yes. But that means: without the original
50 fakeraid everything on that disks is inaccessible... and you need to partition
51 them.
54 > Is it possible that I ordered the disks incorrectly when I installed
55 > them, and by simply swapping disks b and c at the raid I can get things
56 > to start making sense? Is there an order to a set of RAID5 disks? I
57 > thought any two of three RAID5 disks could be recovered, regardless of
58 > which one dies?
59
60 no.
61 First, the order of the disks is irrelevant, but the most important thing:
62
63 with Raid5 ONE disk out of an array might fail. No matter how many disks - two
64 fail and everything is lost.
67 > > there is a reason why I never ever touch genkernel.
68 > >
69 > > you should forget that crap. You don't need to copy around anything. If
70 > > your root is not on some fancy setup, you don't need initramfs.
71 > >
72 > > Just make a nice kernel, put it in /boot. Done.
73 >
74 > OK. The OS disk is non-RAID (120GB SSD), so I don't need any fancy
75 > options in my kernel. All the domdadm and dodmraid stuff is needed just
76 > when your OS disk is raided. Correct?
77
78 yes
82 #163933