From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE4 first impressions
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:22:54
1 On Tuesday 22 January 2008, Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
2 > On Monday 21 January 2008 09:42:17 Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > Kontact works properly and so does the kmail component.
4 > > kmail on it's own does not work. wtf is up with that anyway?
5 >
6 > erm... kdepim (including kontact and kmail) wasn't released with kde
7 > 4.0.0 at all...
8
9 I mean that kmail-3.5.8 does not work in a kde-4 session, but
10 kontact-3.5.8 does work, and launches kmail correctly.
11
12 In other news, kde4 took a little nibble on my babies in a few other
13 respects, as opposed to full-on eating them:
14
15 I created a separate user to test kde4 with, but did not notice in time
16 that the PATH had been updated to place /usr/kde4 earlier
17 than /usr/kde3.5. I've since changed it back but did run kde apps using
18 my regular account meanwhile:
19
20 I used to have a ~/kde symlink to ~/kde3.5. This is now gone and
21 replaced with a ~/kde directory, apparently a snapshot of the original.
22 Some of my configs are changed - my Transport setting in Kmail were
23 gone (I had a backup), and the Go menu in Konqueror now only displays
24 History and Most Often Visited items.
25
26 My mail folders now appear to be out of sync, there are updates in ~/kde
27 and in ~/kde3.5 dated after I changed things back. No further detail
28 yet, it'll take a while to scan everythign and see where the changes
29 are. Meanwhile I have work to do :-)
32 Alan McKinnon
33 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
34 --