From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Which USB device on which controller?
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 14:54:50
1 >>>> Sounds like it's a 1.1 device to me.
2 >>>
3 >>> Yep, that's what it sounds like to me too.
4 >>>
5 >>> Dale
6 >>
7 >> But that's OK isn't it?  I don't need 2.0 speeds between each webcam
8 >> and the controller, I just need the increased overall bandwidth of a
9 >> 2.0 controller so one of the 1.1 webcams doesn't use all of it.
10 >
11 > The 2.0 controller doesn't _have_ increased bandwith if it's
12 > talking to 1.1 devices.  In that case, the 2.0 controller is
13 > transferring data at the same speed as a 1.1 controller.
14
15 I thought the total bandwidth available for a controller was different
16 than the bandwidth at which it communicates with one device. You're
17 saying any 1.1 device that uses 12 mbit/s will 100% monopolize a 2.0
18 controller so no other devices can function?
19
20 Taking a different approach, since I have 2 USB controllers (EHCIx1,
21 OHCIx1) why can't I operate one webcam on one controller and one
22 webcam on the other controller so they can both function?
23
24 - Grant
25
26 >> I get the feeling I have a misconception somewhere along the
27 >> line here. Could someone straighten me out?
28 >
29 > A Corvette going 3MPH will get to the finish line at exactly
30 > the same time as a 4-year-old kid on a tricycle going 3MPH.  It
31 > doesn't matter what the controller is capable of -- it matters
32 > what speed it's actually talking.
33 >
34 > --
35 > Grant