From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Installing via GRML
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 19:10:04
1 Michael Schmarck <michael.schmarck@×××××××××××××.de> writes:
2
3 >> `Release grml 1.1-rc1 - Codename Skunk'
4 >>
5 >> Unless you want to use the baloney bit torrent download
6 >
7 > What's baloney about a bittorrent download? It's a good way to save
8 > on bandwidth for the one, who offers a download. It's also not more
9 > insecure than a plain old http or ftp download - in the contrary,
10 > it's at least as secure.
11
12 Sorry that was a pretty dumb thing to say... I do think its baloney
13 but saying that guaranteed someone would be rubbed the wrong way. Not
14 a smart move in a request for help...
15
16 To me, bitorrent is just more piddling around. You have to install
17 something extra (don't you?) to use it. Its not fast at all. For the
18 kind of size we are talking a dsl connection should handle normal ftp
19 or any http download in a matter of a few minutes. I pay for dsl
20 exactly so I don't need to mess around with downloads...
21
22 I guess I assumed someone offering such a download would have the
23 necessary bandwidth.
24
25 I wasn't concerned at all about security.
26
27 Not to put too fine a point on it but:
28 Plain old ftp should be all I need for something like that download.
29
30 >> it appears
31 >> none of the servers listed have that version.
32 >
33 > That might have been the case 5 hours ago, but right now, already
34 > the 1st server has it.
35
36 Yes, at least one there has it now.... thanks
39 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list