From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How recent is this Gentoo documentation?
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2015 12:11:11
1 On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 5:57 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Saturday 28 Mar 2015 02:53:28 Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >
4 >> What I haven't gotten to work lately is a crash kernel. With all my
5 >> btrfs panics of late it would sure be handy for troubleshooting...
6 >
7 > I am using btrfs with 3.18.9-gentoo kernel and had no indication of fs
8 > corruption yet. Should I be worried? What is it recommended that I check?
11 If you're casually running btrfs I'd advise having thought through
12 what you'll do if the filesystem eats your data. That isn't bad
13 advice for any setup, but your risks are going to be higher with btrfs
14 than ext4.
15
16 Other than that, I'd just stick with a relatively recent stable
17 kernel, but I'd personally shy away from the most recent. Sticking
18 with an LTS like 3.18 is probably best. But, it was 3.18.9 that
19 refused to mount my root filesystem. :) Booting with 3.18.8 and
20 running on that for a while seemed to solve the problem, but I did get
21 a few panics over a day. I did a full balance which probably also
22 helped. Root cause was never determined - I suspect that this
23 probably wasn't a regressing in 3.18.9 so much as it being fussier
24 about what it mounts. Over time they've been adding more
25 error-checking to the btrfs code with the goal that they'd rather not
26 touch a filesystem than work with data that looks bad.
27
28 The most recent issue did actually corrupt a file - a chromium
29 preferences file (I'm not actually sure it was corrupt - it may have
30 just been moved to lost+found and visual inspection didn't show
31 anything obviously wrong with it, but chromium settings are trivial to
32 re-sync anyway). Before that I've never had an actual file corruption
33 from btrfs - just refusal to mount a drive until it was cleaned up, or
34 a kernel patch was applied. The other thing is that I've always been
35 able to mount my btrfs filesystems read-only, which is obviously
36 useful in a disaster scenario.
37
38 But, I keep a daily rsnapshot backup of all my btrfs filesystems on
39 ext4. Btrfs send would be far more efficient, but my whole point is
40 to protect myself from btrfs failures so a dumb backup to ext4 covers
41 me against any btrfs failure mode as long as it becomes visible within
42 a few days (the limit of my retention schedule).
45 Rich