From: Alan <alan@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Commenting out multiple lines in vim
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 21:44:02
1 On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 07:53:30PM +0000, Stroller wrote:
2 > Hi there,
3 >
4 > I can find numerous references on the net to this behaviour:
5 >
6 > In vim, you can just select the rectangular region with Ctrl-v,
7 > then type "I#<ESC>". This will insert # in each line at the same
8 > column. Very convenient.
9 >
10 > EG:
11 > http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2001-May/084540.html
12 > http://hurley.wordpress.com/2007/06/13/vim-tip-comment-out-multiple-lines/
13 >
14 > Yet it doesn't seem to work on any of my Gentoo systems.
15 >
16 > Is this something that is caused by a Gentoo-specific /etc/vimrc or has vim
17 > evolved?
18
19 Couple of things to check:
20 - you're running vim not vi or vim-tiny which has a bunch of behaviour
21 removed. Ensure that syntax highlighting works for example is what I
22 do to make sure. ESC :help will show your version also
23 - ensure you're not running with the 'compatible' setting.
24 ESC :set nocompatible
25 will make sure this is off
26
27 Alan
31 Alan <alan@×××××.org> - http://arcterex.net
33 "Beware of computer programmers that carry screwdrivers." -- Unknown