From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] External hard drive and idle activity
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2020 14:45:24
1 On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 9:18 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > > On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 8:25 AM Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >> If they are used as normal PC drives for regular writing
6 > >> of data, or with back up commands which use rsync, cp, etc. then the disk will
7 > >> fail much sooner than expected because of repeated multiple areas being
8 > >> deleted, before each smaller write. I recall reading about how short the life
9 > >> of SMR drives was shown to be when used in NAS devices - check google or
10 > >> youtube if you're interested in the specifics.
11 > > Can you give a link - I'm not finding anything, and I'm a bit dubious
12 > > of this claim, because they still are just hard drives. These aren't
13 > > SSDs and hard drives should not have any kind of erasure limit.
14 > >
15 > > Now, an SMR used for random writes is going to be a REALLY busy drive,
16 > > so I could see the drive being subject to a lot more wear and tear.
17 > > I'm just not aware of any kind of serious study. And of course any
18 > > particular model of hard drive can have reliability issues (just look
19 > > up the various reliability studies).
22 > I ran up on this article however, it is a short time frame. Still might
23 > be a interesting read tho.
24 >
25 > https://blogs.dropbox.com/tech/2019/07/smr-what-we-learned-in-our-first-year/
26
27 That article makes no mention of reliability issues with SMR. In
28 fact, they mention that they want 40% of their storage to be on SMR by
29 now. Clearly they wouldn't be doing that if the drives failed
30 frequently.
31
32 Note that they did modify their software to have write patterns
33 suitable for SMR. That is the key here. You absolutely have to
34 engineer your application to be suitable for SMR, or only choose SMR
35 if your application is already suitable. You can't just expect these
36 drives to perform remotely acceptably if you just throw random writes
37 at them.
38
39 > I'm still a bit curious and somewhat untrusting of those things tho.
40 > Regular hard drives go bad often enough as it is. We don't need some
41 > fancy unknown thing inserted just to add more issues. Sort of reminds
42 > me of the init thingy. Each thing added is another failure point.
43
44 Obviously they're relatively new, but they seem reliable enough.
45 They're just not suitable for general purpose use.
46
47 > I'm going to test my ebay skills and see if I can find some non-SMR
48 > drives. It sounds like some require some research to know if they are
49 > or not. :/
50
51 That's pretty simple. Find a drive that looks reasonable
52 price/capacity/etc-wise. Then just google the model number to confirm
53 it isn't SMR.
54
55 If you're in the US though you're probably best off shucking drives
56 from Best Buy these days. A drive that costs $350 as a bare drive
57 will get sold for $180 in a USB enclosure. I think it is just market
58 segmentation. They want to get top dollar from enterprise users, and
59 they aren't going to be shucking drives from Best Buy bought on "limit
60 1 item per customer" sales. By shucking I'm getting 12TB red drives
61 for less than the cost of a 6TB green drive. Just be aware that if
62 your PSU is old you'll need to tape over some of the SATA power pins.
63 New PSUs - even cheap ones - haven't given me any trouble.
64
65 I'm sure there are more up-to-date guides as these days the drives are
66 12TB, but here is the gist of it:
67 https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/7fx0i0/wd_easystore_8tb_compendium/
68
69 If you aren't in the US I have no idea whether equivalent deals are
70 available. That subreddit is a good place to go for info on cheap
71 hard drives though.
74 Rich