From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dell 1850/Dell Partition
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 20:28:15
1 On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 09:15:48AM +0000, Michael Kintzios wrote
2
3 > Compaq tend to 'compaqify' their boxes by plastering their company
4 > logo into every splash screen you can imagine, including these days
5 > their BIOS screen. I am not sure how their boxen were configured
6 > a few years ago but these days everything can be 'disinfected' and
7 > returned to default component settings. I am not what you mean by
8 > BIOS partition. I don't know if they would save a BIOS image to
9 > reflash the BIOS with their corporate splash screen and preferred
10 > settings in case the CMOS battery ran out or was removed by the user.
11 > On the other hand, they may just saved the splash screen on the hdd
12 > because back then there would be much less storage space for silly
13 > splash screens on the BIOS itself?
14
15 No, it was for screen settings and BIOS parameters. If you have a
16 really old Compaq, go to their download webpage and get the floppy image
17 for your model. You have to boot from the floppy, and save to the
18 hidden partition, creating it if necessary. It occupied the first
19 cylinder, and definitely did not have enough space to store the OS.
20
21 > Hmm, did you then boot Linux using LiLo, or by chainloading LiLo via
22 > the M$Windoze bootloader?
23
24 lilo on /dev/hda
27 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>