From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] duplicate email messages from fail2ban
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 03:48:25
1 On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 9:45 PM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > I have fail2ban set up and it works quite well, except for the fact that
3 > whenever it sends me an Email, it always sends two copies.  Every night
4 > when the logs rotate, it does this twice, once when t stops and once
5 > when it restarts, and when it bans an ip it also sends two emails saying
6 > so.
7 >
8 > any ideas as to why this is so and how to fix?
9 >
10 > Thanks in advance for any sugggestions.
11
12 The emails when the service is stopped and started can be disabled in
13 /etc/fail2ban/action.d/mail.conf (comment out the actionstart and
14 actionstop sections).
15
16 If you get multiple emails when someone is banned, it sounds like you
17 have more than one rule enabled that is being triggered by the same
18 event. For example, I think in the default jail.conf there's an ssh
19 rule that bans in the firewall as well as an ssh rule that writes to
20 hosts.deny.
21
22 I disabled all of the email alerts from fail2ban because I was getting
23 dozens up to hundreds of them per day, it seemed to be functioning
24 properly, and I was basically flooding my inbox. :)