From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo initrd docs?
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 17:17:14
1 On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >   Does there happen to be a Gentoo doc anywhere that goes through
4 > creating an initrd from scratch?
5 >
6 >   If not Gentoo, then any good web site would be a big help. I'm
7 > interested in booting from RAID - or at least investigating it - so I
8 > need to learn about this.
9 >
10 > Thanks,
11 > Mark
12
13 genkernel is the 'official' way, and I at least use it on my netbook.
14 Maintaining an up to date kernel with an integrated initramfs with
15 little effort on my own part, while Gentoo itself sits on an encrypted
16 partition was just too much to pass up.
17
18 The guide for it is here:
19 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/genkernel.xml
20
21 Alternatively, gentoo-wiki.com has guides on most anything I've ever
22 decided I wanted to look up how to do, and the forums also tend to
23 have a good how-to here and there.
24
25 I've not looked over these two myself, so I can't vouch for them...
26
27 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Initramfs
28 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=193273
29
30 And last idea I have, as it's where I've learned more about how to
31 make Linux do *anything* I might want it to do... LFS and the other
32 projects it's spawned, as the principles used there tend to be low
33 level enough to work on any linux system I've tried them on (though
34 the specific, explicit, instructions make assumptions about where
35 things are and such, of course).
36
37 http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/initramfs.txt
40 Poison [BLX]