From: Alyf <alyf@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any recommendations for PCI-X SATA cards?
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 10:26:26
1 On 24/06/12 00:20, felix@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 06:05:30PM -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
3 >> I have a couple "MV88SX6081 8-port SATA II PCI-X Controller" devices I
4 >> picked up from Newegg a couple years back. They work beautifully.
5
6 I second the recommendation. Don't know about the specific model sold on
7 newegg, but these are generally easy to find used for a good price on ebay:
8
9 http://www.alyf.net/pictures/E%27%20arrivato%20babbo%20natale/pics/STP85650.jpg
10
11 I have a couple of them in a storage server running linux; the driver is
12 stable and they work well with hotplug backplanes.
13
14 The Marvell chip itself, although not very common as a stand-alone
15 device, was used as the SATA front-end in a lot of high-end RAID cards
16 (e.g. Areca 1280, 3ware 3550,...)
17
18 I can also confirm that these cards work with port multipliers in FIS
19 mode, although hotplug sometimes breaks when using PMPs.
20
21 andrea