From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sharing linux's internet connection with an iMac?
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 07:43:25
1 On Monday 27 March 2006 01:07, Ian <omega21@×××××.com> wrote
2 about '[gentoo-user] Sharing linux's internet connection with an iMac?':
3 > I have a Linux laptop, and an iMac.
4 > This linux laptop uses a wifi connection to a router for
5 > network/internet access.
6 > While its connected to the network, can I plug in my iMac to my laptop
7 > and fool it
8 > into thinking it is connected to the router? I did this a long time ago
9 > with 2 windows
10 > boxes. Can it be done from Linux to OS X?
11
12 Yes. Set up a bridge device on the laptop between the wifi interface and
13 the iMac interface; assuming your setup is as simple as I think, that
14 should be all you need to do.
15
16 Helpful documentation:
17 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_setup_a_gentoo_bridge
18
19 Although, that does mention there could be some issues. If a bridge
20 doesn't work, you can probably just enable IPv4 (and IPv6, if you use it)
21 forwarding and set up your iMac with a static IP. That should get you up
22 and running, although you might want to look deeper into the magic for
23 iptables, iproute2, dhcp, etc. at some point in the future.
26 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
27 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
28 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
29 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh