From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Proper way of updating mysql from 5.0.90-r2 to 5.1.50?
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2010 22:32:12
1 On Saturday 04 September 2010 22:43:01 kashani wrote:
2 > On 9/3/2010 10:53 PM, Jarry wrote:
3 > > On 31. 8. 2010 20:30, Mick wrote:
4 > >> I stop apach& mysql, run the update, dispatch-conf and then restart them
5 > >> both. Haven't had problems since.
6 > >
7 > > I tried it that way:
8 > >
9 > > /etc/init.d/apache2 stop
10 > > /etc/init.d/mysql stop
11 > > emerge --ask --update --deep --newuse world
12 > > emerge --depclean
13 > > revdep-rebuild
14 > > /etc/init.d/mysql start
15 > > /etc/init.d/apache2 start
16 > >
17 > > Still the same: databases are gone, mysql is empty. Only users
18 > > are there. This is strange: how can updating mysql from one stable
19 > > version to higher stable cause complete loss of databases???
20 > >
21 > > Jarry
22 >
23 > IIRC the default my.cnf changed for the worse in Gentoo's 5.1.x ebuild.
24 > Try making a copy of your original my.cnf and put it into place once
25 > you've upgraded. Else you may need to modify the mysql home and data
26 > paths in the new my.cnf to reflect where the database are actually
27 > installed.
28
29 I just updated to mysql-5.1.50-r1 on a x86 box, ran revdep-rebuild which
30 amidst others rebuilt apache and php and all is good now. dispatch-conf
31 updated only a couple of lines on the config file.
32
33 The default paths were not affected on any of the 5 mysql databases I'm
34 running currently.
35 --
36 Regards,
37 Mick