From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Upgrading from 5.14 to 6.0 version
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 02:36:16
1 On 2022-11-14, Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Shutting down your desktop applications and rebooting with a new
4 > kernel takes no longer than a couple of minutes.
5
6 On my systems it typically takes about 15-20 seconds.
7
8 I try to reboot at least once a month when I have some spare time --
9 just to make sure I can.
10
11 What I don't want to happen is that some mishandled upgrade has broken
12 my system so that it won't boot properly, but I don't know about until
13 months later when I'm in the middle of something urgent and the power
14 glitches. Then I spend several hours I don't have trying to figure out
15 what's wrong. [Been there, done that, it's _not_ fun.]
16
17 If you wait years between reboots, and it doesn't go well when you do
18 have to reboot, there are usually a lot of possible causes.
19
20 The same applies to X11: I like to restart it every week or so just to
21 make sure nothing's been broken by recent upgrades.
22
23 It's a _lot_ easier to find/fix a problem when the upgrade that caused
24 it is recent (and there's only the one problem).
25
26 If you wait long enough, you end up with multiple problems that
27 sometimes aggravate each other.
30 Grant