From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: LVM, /usr and really really bad thoughts.
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 18:36:32
1 On 2012-03-13 08:13, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > I've also thought about this and I also want to ask why?
4
5 Hm... me too? :-)
6
7 > I stopped using a separate /usr on my workstations a long time ago when
8 > I realized it was pointless. The days of 5M hard disks when the entire
9
10 Ok, you realized it was pointless for *you*, right? It's not a universal
11 fact, as far as I can see... Recall the previous discussion about this
12 very same subject, where I compared unix to "lego"? Flexibility is the
13 keyword here, I think, that some of us do not want to forego. For
14 instance I can very well see myself indulging in some SSDs that I could
15 put in my 'puter where one is dedicated for /usr, one for /var and one
16 for the root file system, whereas I would keep a big normal HDD for /home...
17
18 In my opinion there's a lot of "hand waving" that basically says
19 something like "on a modern desktop system, complex software is needed,
20 therefore /usr needs to be on the root file system (or mounted via
21 initrd)"... and states this as a universal fact, without answering the
22 question "Why?". Isn't it those who wants to change that should answer
23 why they want to change? And I trust Poetterings/Sievers answer why it
24 needs to change as far as I can throw either of them (I'm quite weak)...
25 it's all tied in neatly into their (IMO) overly complex software.
26
27 Hm, if we want to be modern, perhaps we should abolish partitions
28 altogether and put everything in the cloud? That would be "modern",
29 right? ;-)
30
31 I'm running a decent desktop system (Xfce4) and I have /usr on a
32 separate partition without any initrd... Why would I need to change this
33 (except from being forced if I continue to use udev)? So far the only
34 technical reason I've heard that somehow requires udev to have access to
35 files in /usr is a bluetooth keyboard. Anything else that *needs* to be
36 working during boot (before a separate /usr can be mounted)? And in my
37 opinion, if a keyboard needs complex software to work then it's broken
38 by design.
39
40 But I digress, I really should start coding my own solutions, as Canek
41 says...
42
43 Best regards
44