From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Virtual Desktop with a Virtual Monitor?
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2021 20:39:54
1 Hi,
2 I've been playing with a Raspberry Pi 4 as a utility divice for a
3 couple of purposes - a backup server for here at home as well as an
4 astrophotography manager to run my camera and mount. So far everything
5 is fine when I have a monitor attached. I can ssh in and run X apps,
6 and I can run the VNC client and control the desktop.
7
8 What I find, however, is that when I boot the RP4 without the
9 monitor attached, which I would be doing most all the time, I lose the
10 desktop functionality through VNC. I can still ssh X apps, and both
11 xdpyinfo and xrandr still say the X resolution is 1920 x 1280, but
12 there doesn't appear to be a real desktop for VNC to latch onto.
13
14 I get that this must be possible as essentially VirtualBox is able
15 to do this. I wonder if there's a way for mere mortals to do something
16 similar?
17
18 Thanks,
19 Mark