From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: fluxbox without xorg-server? How do you start X?
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 00:31:54
1 On 2009-06-29, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > You can't do stuff like channel scanning with the first two,
4 > so running mythtv-setup over SSH is the only option, which
5 > means you need qt3 and X libs on a headless server :(
6
7 I know. Making channel-scanning a separate text-mode
8 application similar to mythfilldatabase would solve that
9 problem. The thing I find truly odd about MythTv is that is
10 _is_ split up into frontend-UI-player and backend-server yet
11 the backend is so distinctly ill-suited to be installed on a
12 "server" type machine.
13
14 This time around, I'm installing the backend on a normal
15 "desktop" machine that's already going to have an X server, but
16 it's probably going to be the only app that requires Qt3.
17
18 I should try out Freevo some day. It's written in Python, so
19 it should be more stable than MythTv. But, it doesn't support
20 my tuner yet, and it doesn't appear to support a separate
21 backend with multiple frontends.