From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] i can't boot gentoo (regarding to "something" corrupted or deleted (?))
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 14:20:46
1 On 5/7/06, nacho <gentoo.user.list@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi there, i have this big big problem:
3 > i tried to emerge openoffice(bin) and i have left without space in the root
4 > partition (openoffice installs in /opt which is in the / partition in my
5 > case) so emerge stops with an error. Then i rebooted a cupple of times and
6 > everything was ok (except that any partition could be mounted, only
7 > /boot....rare because kde was "seeing" all partitions (i have: / /var /usr
8 > /home /boot)). But then i removed openoffice from /opt (manually, because
9 > emerge couldn't install it completly because of the space), so the
10 > space-problem get resolved (apparently), i rebooted and get with this
11 > mesagge (aprox. 20 times contiguous):
12 > "/sbin/rc: line 831: schedule_service_startup: command not found
13 > /sbin/rc: line 831: service_started: command not found"
14 > Then i get prompted to login but it doesen't work at all ("login
15 > incorrect..")
16 > This error reproduces every time i try to start the system (so i can't
17 > start).
18 > what's up here? and the more important:
19 > is there a way to save the system or i have to install everything from
20 > scratch?! (have it sense to "re"tar the stage?)
21 > any suggestions welcome...thanks
24 I don't see any reason linking openoffice to your problem, if you have
25 space left on all partitions, it shouldn't be a problem (but it is
26 strongly adviced to NOT remove stuff by hand). Anyway, I've been
27 running lots of *ix flavors around for the last 5 years and I NEVER
28 had to reinstall a whole system from scratch because of a software
29 problem (that's one of the main reasons I do not use Windows except to
30 play games).
31
32 You can try using the LiveCD to chroot into your system, this way you
33 "bypass" any password problem. You can then reset your password (and
34 of all your users) and maybe do an "emerge -uD world", or etc-update.
37 Daniel da Veiga
38 Computer Operator - RS - Brazil
46 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list