From: Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT router advice] a router capable of detailed logs
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 23:18:01
1 * Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> [110422 16:00]:
2 > Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net> writes:
3 >
4 > > There is a basic firewall in place with OpenWRT (enabled by default.)
5 > >
6 > > There is a a web GUI for OpenWRT (as well as with DD-WRT.)
7 > >
8 > > The web GUI supports the usual config pages as with other similar home
9 > > routers.
10 > >
11 > > There's a status page showing the iptables chains with the packet
12 > > counts for each rule (the most complicated page to view I'd say.)
13 > >
14 > > There's config pages for overall firewall config with default policies
15 > > and other things such as zone config. There's a "traffic control" page
16 > > which lets you define your filter rules and a "Traffic Redirection" page
17 > > which allows you to set up your port forwarding (DNAT.)
18 > >
19 > > It's quite easy to configure and doesn't require iptables knowledge.
20 > >
21 > > Though I like very much that the option is there if I want to take
22 > > advantage of it.
23 >
24 > [...]
25 >
26 > I want to thank you for providing such detailed information. It is a
27 > very helpful reply... thanks
30 You're welcome.
31
32 BTW, rereading what I wrote above, I didn't mean to imply that DD-WRT
33 doesn't have a basic firewall in place by default (I don't know if it
34 does, I'd assume so.)
35
36 Also, I've been running lots of traffic through the wireless on that
37 Buffalo OpenWRT box and haven't experienced any drops (the same traffic
38 caused a LinkSys and TrendNet box running the commercial firmware to
39 drop the wireless connections.)
40
41 So I'm happy with at this point.
42