From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fragmentation of my drives. Curious mostly
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 15:38:11
1 Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon schrieb:
3 > [...]
4 >> Reiser tends to self-balance itself out. What is especially
5 >> noteworthy is that none of the general purpose Linux filesystems
6 >> provide a defrag utility. Theodore 'Tso and Hans Reiser are both
7 >> exceptional programmers, if there was a need for such a tool they
8 >> would assuredly have written one. They did not, so there probably isn't.
9 >>
10 > [...]
11 >
12 > Well, as far as I know, ext4 will get an online defrag tool.
13 >
14 > I once experienced performance losses on a reiserfs-volume used for
15 > ccache (tailpacking enabled).
16 >
17 > But otherwise you are right, fragmentation is usually caused by a bad
18 > filesystem (FAT*), a filesystem that is mostly filled (when 99% is
19 > full, the allocator has no choice but scatter any new writes over the
20 > whole volume) or unusual usage patterns (write-delete-write-delete-...
21 > like my ccache issue).
26 I have read the same as what you are saying but I did want to "test"
27 that shake thing. What is funny to me, it was higher AFTER running a
28 defrag tool than it was BEFORE running it. Sort of makes you think.
29
30 I have said myself that Linux does not generally need to be defraged. I
31 have never seen a Linux file system get anything near as bad as
32 windoze. While I don't run windoze I do have family and friends that do
33 so I know how bad it can be. I have seen a lot of windoze be at 40 and
34 50%. Looked like about every file on the thing was all over the place
35 like bird shot from a shot gun. Sorry, I'm a southern country boy. lol
36
37 So I assume 10% or so is not so bad? I didn't think it was but wanted
38 to ask a couple gurus for their opinions.
39
40 Thanks for the replies.
41
42 Dale