From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is gnome becoming obligatory?
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 09:28:09
1 On Fri, 15 Dec 2017 07:38:01 +0100, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2
3 > > If you "rc-update del" a service, you wouldn't
4 > > prevent it from being started neither, just because OpenRC is still
5 > > able to pull it in as a dependency.
6 >
7 > True, except with OpenRC, all the config is located together. Not
8 > mostly in / usr/.... somewhere with overrides in /etc/...
9 > I dislike all tools that split their config in this way.
10
11 Conversely, I prefer it. The package defaults should be set in /usr, /etc
12 is for customisation. xorg works the same way with settings
13 in /etc/overriding those it /usr. It saves cluttering up /etc with tons
14 of default settings.
15
16 However, with both openrc and systemd you don't need to trawl the
17 filesystems to find the settings, using the provided tools, rc-update and
18 systemctl in this case, is both preferred and simpler.
19
20 One of the benefits, IMO, of systemd, is that it brings a consistency to
21 operations. In many cases the systemd tools do the same as their
22 non-systemd equivalents, but they follow a consistent style guide. Of
23 course, this means that they may work differently to the way you are used
24 to and there is definitely a learning curve in switching to systemd. I
25 also didn't discover mask/unmask for a while, only finding it when I was
26 looking for something else in a man page. Running a mixture of systemd and
27 openrc boxes, I more often find myself doing thing wrong on the openrc
28 boxes these days and missing systemd features.
32 Neil Bothwick
33
34 Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy.