From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 11:50:37
1 On 21 March 2014 12:24:04 CET, Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
2 >On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 10:54:55 +0100
3 >"J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Sun, February 16, 2014 22:16, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
6 >> > On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 2:58 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
7 >> > <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
8 >> >> oh? I can pipe that output into cat or any any daemon I like?
9 >> >> Doesn't look like so.
10 >> >
11 >> > But it does, you can "cat" with journalctl; it's one of its output
13 >> >
14 >> > -o, --output=
15 >> > cat
16 >> > generates a very terse output only showing the
17 >actual
18 >> > message of each journal entry with no meta data, not even a
19 >> > timestamp.
20 >>
21 >> As I do not have systemd installed on any machine, I can't check the
22 >> man-pages.
23 >
24 >http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/tree/man
25 >
26 >> But, if that is the only method to get parseable text from
27 >journalctl,
28 >> then that is less then useless.
29 >
30 >Why? There are other output methods. See the man pages...
31 >
32 >> I would expect an export option providing the same detail level as I
33 >> currently find in /var/log/messages.
34 >
35 >That's what you can control with the various options of -o.
36 >
37 >> A timestamp is a minimum required for logging system output.
38 >
39 >Depends on how you are processing that output.
40
41 Tom,
42
43 Please reply to list. No need to include me in the recipient list.
44
45 Also, no need to reopen a closed mail thread with replies that re-iterate already mentioned information. Canek said the same in his replies.
48 Joost
49 --
50 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.