From: eroen <eroen@××××××××××××.eu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: webcam software
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 20:02:04
1 On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 17:02:15 -0500
2 gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
3
4 > My main system is a dell latitude E6430s. I am embarrassed to say
5 > that, although I have had this system for a while, I just now realized
6 > that it has a build in webcam. What software do you recommend and
7 > what should I start reading to learn how to use it.
8 >
9 > thanks,
10 > allan
13 ffmpeg/libav works well for capturing input from webcams, at least if
14 the driver uses the video4linux (v4l) framework (I haven't encountered
15 any other kinds). For instance, to capture one frame and store it as a
16 png image (using libav's avconv, ffmpeg would be similar), you can use
17 avconv -f video4linux2 -i /dev/video0 testframe.png
18
19 mplayer (and its descendants) also play well with v4l, to directly
20 display the webcam's input you can use
21 mplayer -tv driver=v4l2:device=/dev/video0 tv://
22 (The -tv switch and its argument are probably redundant as the default
23 detection is very good.)
26 eroen