From: Daniel D Jones <ddjones@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Kmail editor freezes
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2010 18:24:35
1 Recently started having problems with Composer, the editor of Kmail. This
2 only happens with the editor when I'm writing an email. It doesn't happen
3 when I'm just reading mail. At random intervals, Composer will freeze for
4 anywhere from fifteen or so seconds up to around 60 seconds. When it's frozen,
5 it's completely unresponsive. Moving the mouse cursor over it causes the
6 mouse cursor to disappear. During this time, it doesn't even show up in top
7 sorted by CPU usage. I'm sure it's there, it's just not using enough CPU to
8 make the top of the list.
9
10 I've tried recompiling Kmail without any success. My guess is that it's
11 trying to access some external resource and timing out, but I'm not able to
12 determine what that might be. Akonadi is running using the external MySQL
13 server but everything seems to be running properly. Checking with the
14 Akonaditray "Test" button brings up no errors. Spellcheck is working, and
15 disabling automatic spellcheck does not fix the problem. I'm not aware of any
16 other external processes that Composer uses.
17
18 I tried to work around this by configuring Kmail to use an external editor, but
19 Kmail still loads Composer. When it does so, key strokes do not work properly
20 - they seem to move the cursor around randomly but they don't enter text in
21 the editor. Resetting the editor configuration to the internal editor causes
22 the editor to accept keystrokes properly but brings back the random freezing
23 issue. I suspect the freezes and the inability to use an external editor are
24 separate issues but I'm not sure.
25
26 Any help on tracking down the cause is greatly appreciated.
29 "Chastity [is] the most unnatural of the sexual perversions." - Aldous Huxley