From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Unwelcomed non-native language support
Date: Sat, 30 May 2015 11:59:21
1 2015-05-30 14:31 GMT+03:00 <rhannek@×××.de>:
2 > On 30/05/15 14:07, gevisz wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I do not know how to do that.
5 >
6 > Go to [1], scroll to the bottom. There should be some settings for yt
7 > language.
8 >
9 >> Yes, but according to the link, provided by Marc, it contains gettext
10 >> instruction for its translation according to the locale set on the
11 >> local computer.
12 >>
13 >> I get this issue for all youtube videos, either on youtube or embedded
14 >> into the html code on other web-sites: right-clicking the video brings
15 >> the menu in a non-English language. (One of its entries in English is
16 >> "Get embedded code".)
19 > No. It's about localizing web pages with gettext. gettext is on the
20 > server side. The server sets a locale for the session and then localizes
21 > your page accordingly via calls to gettext before you even get the page.
22 >
23 > Basically on your first visit yt tries to guess your locale based on
24 > several parameters. Mainly the Accept-Language http header (the thing in
25 > Settings->Content which you already found). It stores whatever your
26 > current setting is in your cookies and whenever you visit yt or have a
27 > video embedded in some site this cookie determines the language for yt
28 > content.
29
30 Ok, thank you for explanation. If the localization is done on the server
31 side, then cleaning the cookies should help and it indeed helped: the
32 menu returned to its English view as soon as I deleted all my cookies
33 from youtube.
34
35 >> Moreover, if the menu "is from the site and not from firefox", why I
36 >> get it in English from the other instance of the Firefox run in the
37 >> same environment?
38 >
39 > It probably uses the same cookies.
40
41 Probably you meant "the different cookies."
42
43 > [1] http://youtube.com
44
45 Too late get your explanation about checking the "yt language."
46 Now, after deleting all youtube cookies, it is set to English as desired.