From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OFF-TOPIC] Best bios type thingy to boot a computer
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2018 17:19:36
1 On 31/08/18 23:16, Andrew Udvare wrote:
2 > On 8/31/18 10:46 AM, Andrew Lowe wrote:
3 >> Hi all,
4 >
5 >> This is not to start a flame war, I just want to do some reading,
6 >> wikipedia pages, for self interest on how a BIOS could have/should have
7 >> been done. I'm thinking of how DECStations, Alpha's SPARCs etc etc
8 >> booted up.
9 >
10 > Try
11 >
12 > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booting#Boot_sequence
13 > https://github.com/coreos/grub/tree/2.02-coreos/grub-core/boot/i386/pc
14 > https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/arch/x86/boot/main.c#L135
18 Thanks for the comment but I was more looking along the lines of "When
19 I used the early SPARC 1 the boot was controlled by ???? and it was
20 really good because......" hence my original comment about "been there,
21 done that", people who are old enough to know what a SPARC1 looked like
22 or even used a Personal Iris or a POWERstation.
23
24 Andrew