From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: KDE 4.3.95 tarballs?
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 23:17:42
1 On Tuesday 26 January 2010 00:06:50 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Montag 25 Januar 2010, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On Monday 25 January 2010 23:11:18 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 > > > > Today it is finally released. I don't know why it took so long. :)
5 > > >
6 > > > It's a bit sad though that an open source project keeps secrets... I
7 > > > found out that the tarballs were available for days now but only for
8 > > > maintainers of KDE packages of various distros. For example Arch Linux
9 > > > had RC2 binaries available in its [kde-unstable] repo since Jan 21, but
10 > > > no one would give a link to the tarballs used to build the sources
11 > > > because they are "secret".
12 > > >
13 > > > Am I the only one to find this frustrating (to say the least)?
14 > >
15 > > There's nothing secret here. Nothing to see, move along folks.
16 > >
17 > > The code is always available in svn, if you wanted it that bad you could
18 > > have checked it out. It's common release engineering practice to build a
19 > > tarball from the repo and provide limited access to *those* files to
20 > > distros and mirrors to give them time to sync and build their binaries
21 > > before making them available to the public. I mirror Ubuntu and Fedora.
22 > > The deal is that I get the rpms and debs two days before the public
23 > > does. This is so that every official mirror on the planet is ready to
24 > > simultaneously publish the release *all*at*the*same*time*.
25 > >
26 > > This is a very excellent way of working. You have no idea how much chaos
27 > > thousands of eager beaver users cause pounding away at my inbox if I
28 > > don't have the latest Ubuntu for them the day it is released because
29 > > sharks bit the undersea cable to London and the inbound bandwidth slows
30 > > to a crawl. I'm not making this up - stuff like this happens.
31 > >
32 > > Gentoo erred in publishing ebuilds for tarballs that were not generally
33 > > available yet.
34 >
35 > no, the user erred in stupid unmasking.
38 Yes, very true.
39
40 $PORTDIR/profiles/package.mask does usually clearly say stuff like
41
42 masking next kde version in preparation for release on <date>
43
44 or words to that effect
48 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com