From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Tips/Tricks for Gentoo on low-spec computer?
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 03:28:53
1 On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 8:18 PM, Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 2009-01-21, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> It's funny, I have read a lot of people complain that the binary is the
5 >> same way but compiling from source works. Interesting. The reason I
6 >> was told I should compile my own is because it was more stable than the
7 >> binary.
8 >
9 > The first time I tried installing OOo, I did the binary
10 > install. It wouldn't run, so since then I've always built it.
11 >
12 >> How do you figure that OOo from source is not supported?
13 >
14 > I've been wondering that as well. I checked the package
15 > database and the OOo ebuild is marked as stable for x86. In my
16 > book, that's "supported". Of course that's not be the same
17 > thing as "practical" for some machines (I believe my OOo emerge
18 > just passed hour 31). It would be interesting to know how much
19 > further it's go to go, but as long as it's done in a week or so
20 > that'll be good enough. I remember building binutils, gcc,
21 > X11, emacs, and so on from sources on a 25MHz 68000 with 4MB of
22 > RAM -- that took some patience as well.
23
24 Latest OOo 3.0 source compile for me took 1hr 34 minutes on my
25 dual-core E6600 overclocked to 3ghz with 8 gigs of RAM :P
26
27 i don't know what that translates to in your machine speed. I have
28 6000 bogomips for each core according to /proc/cpuinfo (I know it's
29 not a benchmark)
30
31 Paul