From: fruktopus <fruktopus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PORTAGE_COMPRESS
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2014 16:47:52
1 Am 02.04.2014 16:10, schrieb Alan McKinnon:
2 > On 02/04/2014 14:27, Douglas J Hunley wrote:
3 >> I was reviewing my Portage settings yesterday and I noticed that I have
4 >> PORTAGE_COMPRESS set (to bzip2, the default) on both of my servers and
5 >> it occurred to me that both of these servers have filesystems that
6 >> support compression (btrfs on one, zfs on the other). So I'm wondering
7 >> if it still makes sense to have PORTAGE_COMPRESS set or if I should
8 >> unset it and just let the fs-level compression handle it. Portage is
9 >> already slow, why have it take the time to do this when the fs does it
10 >> better and transparently? Thoughts on the matter?
11 > I agree with your reasoning.
12 >
13 > PORTAGE_COMPRESS is an ugly hack to get doc files smaller and the need
14 > for it has long since gone away for the general case and it predates
15 > filesystems with compression anyway. So do let the fs deal with this
16 > transparently and avoid the cost of calling bunzip2 everytime you read a
17 > doc.
18
19 Where did you find PORTAGE_COMPRESS? I just checked /etc/portage and
20 some other locations but without luck. Also its not documented. Can you
21 give me a hint.
22
23 ~frukto