From: Datty <datty.wtb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] LVM: Removing 3 disks and replacing with 1
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 09:47:46
1 Hi all,
2
3 I've got an LVM setup at the minute that consists of 3x1TB and 3x1.5TB
4 drives. Its setup with one huge XFS partition with all my data on. I don't
5 have a backup of any kind and I know thats pretty silly but with the cost
6 of replicating the whole lot being what it is and the lack of space in my
7 server for more drives I have to live with it for the minute. Its got to
8 the point now where I have 200gb free on it and the drives are pretty old
9 so I'm going to need to get some new storage. I initially want to replace
10 the 3x1TBs with a single 3TB drive but i've never removed/replaced a drive
11 in an LVM setup before. I think I understand how it is done, using pvmove
12 but a lot of the information around it has giant warnings saying backup
13 before you do it. Has anyone used pvmove before and has it gone as planned
14 or not? Also, would someone with a 3TB drive be able to give me the exact
15 size of the drive so I can work out if it will have enough extents to
16 replace the 3 drives?
17
18 Thanks for your help
19