From: Michael Hampicke <mh@××××.biz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recommendation for CPU type in QEMU?
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 06:42:17
1 Am 01.08.2013 03:02, schrieb Walter Dnes:
2 > On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 11:45:48AM +0100, Kerin Millar wrote
3 >
4 >> Please provide the content of /proc/cpuinfo on the host.
5 >
6 > The first one is my shiney almost new desktop (Dell Inspiron 660) and
7 > the second one is my "hot backup" (more like emergency backup, 6-year-old
8 > Dell Dimension 530). I'll be on the new machine unless it breaks. But
9 > I do want to be able to port the QEMU VM to the older machine as part of
10 > its "hot backup" status.
11 >
12 > On any other distro, it wouldn't matter, but I have "-march=native" in
13 > make.conf, so I do have to worry about keeping binaries compatable. If
14 > I build for "Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E4600" on both machines, would I be
15 > losing noticable performance? Right now, it's just one Windows program
16 > that I'll be running occasionally. So I'd rather trade off a bit less
17 > speed on the new machine, versus compatability issues. I also prefer to
18 > be able to scp the VM disk images to the backup machine, rather than
19 > having to do a separate install on each machine.
22 You can use march=native on your gentoo hosts, that's no problem, as
23 long as you don't use it on your guests. That's the hole idea of VMs:
24 being able to move the virtual machine to another machine, that might be
25 completely different in terms of hardware. The goal is, to be machine
26 independent.
27
28 In your case, I'd say it would make sense to chose "core2duo" as qemu
29 host cpu. Both of your host cpus support the feature set of core2duo, so
30 no performance penalty for costly software emulation of missing cpu
31 features :-)