From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: In search of a hint/ides: Loop recording of a webcam
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2014 18:58:09
1 On 6 September 2014 14:59:34 CEST, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 >Hi,
3 >
4 >may be the software I am looking for already exists of
5 >can easily created by plugging together already existing pieces:
6 >
7 >With a Logitech c920 webcam (Full HD) I plan to record birds on
8 >my roof.
9 >I need to record "everything": Starting from the birds landing
10 >on the roof until the fligh away again.
11 >
12 >Since the camera delivers Full HD video AND I need the "complete
13 >movie" of the bird motion detection is not suitable here: Decoding
14 >analyzing and reencoding in case of recording would take to much
15 >horsepower...
16 >
17 >But
18 >Normally I will recogize the birds after the landed on the roof.
19 >
20 >My idea is to do something like loop recoording:
21 >The stream is cut into pieces of 5 minutes length.
22 >
23 >If I dont hit "ENTER" (or something similar) the previously recorded
24 >piece of video gets delted after the current one has been completly
25 >recorded.
26 >
27 >If I hit ENTER no deletion is performed until I hit ENTER again.
28 >
29 >I already have a script hacked together with a gst-launch command,
30 >which is able to fetch the Full HD hardware encoded stream from
31 >the C920 and put it on the harddisk.
32 >
33 >But I failed in creating a script which allows me to simultanously
34 >watch the material which gets recorded just in the same moment.
35 >
36 >Is there any software or script or <fill in something appropiate here>
37 >which does this loop recording as described above AND is able to pull
38 >the Full HD stream correctly from the C920?
39 >
40 >Where can I proceed?
41 >
42 >Thank you very much in advance for any help!
43 >Best regards and have a nice weekend!
44 >mcc
45
46 A very long time ago (around 1999) I wrote a simple tool that allowed me to have 2 normal clients access the same stream.
47 It consisted of a simple V4L client tool that hooked I to /dev/video0 and copied all the data to /dev/video1 and /dev/video3.
48 I then had a kernel module taking the data from /dev/video1 and outputting it to /dev/video2 (and same for 3 and 4).
49
50 This did work back then. To allow motion to work on video2 and a streaming webcam on a public website on video4.
51
52 Something similar might exist for V4L2.
55 Joost
56 --
57 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.