From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to losen restrictions on root password
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 07:48:21
1 antlists wrote:
2 > On 21/07/2021 02:24, John Covici wrote:
3 >> On Tue, 20 Jul 2021 18:52:43 -0400,
4 >> antlists wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> On 20/07/2021 23:37, John Covici wrote:
7 >>>> Hi.  After a recent update, I discovered I could not log in as root on
8 >>>> my local console.  Soome software put lots of restrictions on how I
9 >>>> could choose the password and I would like to losen  or abolish those
10 >>>> restrictions.  This is only for local consoles, so its a bit
11 >>>> rediculous anyway.
12 >>>>
13 >>>> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
14 >>>>
15 >>> /etc/security/passwdqc.conf ???
16 >>>
17 >>> hth
18 >>>
19 >>
20 >> Thanks, never messed with this before, I will see what I can see.
21 >>
22 > Nor had I until I built my new system. It seems the defaults have been
23 > tightened up ...
24 >
25 > All very well, but the primary purpose of security on my machine is to
26 > stop users trampling over other user's default setups :-)
27 >
28 > Cheers,
29 > Wol
34 I wonder how many people change the defaults to a higher setting?  I can
35 see a multi-user system admin having reason to do so but wonder if
36 others change it?  After all, if there is only one person using a
37 system, just come up with a good password.  If it is a multi-user
38 system, then a admin might need to force people to come up with a good
39 password.
40
41 I've never noticed these config files either.  Now I'm curious.  To be
42 honest, my passwords kinda suck security wise.  Well, my passwords for
43 encrypted stuff is very strong but my user password may could be guessed
44 easily.
45
46 Dale
47