From: Charles Trois <charles.trois@×××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] About permissions, etc.
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 17:03:10
1 Hello!
2
3 I am a bit confused about some matters related to permissions.
4 Here is a part of my fstab file:
5
6 Sirrah ~ # cat /etc/fstab
7 ...
8 /dev/hda9 /mnt/giga hfs defaults,umask=0 0 0
9 /dev/hda10 /mnt/Sigma hfsplus defaults 0 0
10 /dev/hda11 /mnt/SigmaX hfsplus defaults 0 0
11 ...
12
13 and here are the contents of /mnt:
14
15 Sirrah ~ # ls -l /mnt
16 total 8
17 drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 28 Dec 21 17:00 Sigma
18 drwxrwxr-t 1 root cdrw 38 Jan 21 09:52 SigmaX
19 drwx------ 2 root root 4096 Aug 11 01:49 cdrom
20 drwx------ 2 root root 4096 Aug 11 01:49 floppy
21 drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 40 Dec 21 16:00 giga
22
23 I want to suppress the write permissions on Sigma and SigmaX. So I did
24
25 Sirrah ~ # chmod 555 /mnt/Sigma
26
27 That worked all right, and I went on with
28
29 Sirrah ~ # chmod 555 /mnt/SigmaX
30 chmod: changing permissions of `/mnt/SigmaX': Read-only file system
31
32 The error here is surprising, as SigmaX is mounted rw:
33
34 Sirrah ~ # mount
35 ...
36 /dev/hda11 on /mnt/SigmaX type hfsplus (rw)
37 ...
38
39 I tried the step of remounting it rw: the error disappeared, but chmod
40 produced no result.
41 SigmaX, strangely, belongs to the cdrw group, and I wondered if that
42 could be the cause of the trouble, so I tried to change it to root; but
43 the answer was again: Read-only file system.
44 Finally, I wondered if SigmaX might have the "i" attribute, so I tried:
45
46 Sirrah ~ # lsattr /mnt
47 ------------- /mnt/cdrom
48 ------------- /mnt/floppy
49 lsattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device While reading flags on /mnt/giga
50 ------------- /mnt/Sigma
51 ------------- /mnt/SigmaX
52
53 It shows no attributes, but there is this error about giga: it is
54 perhaps of no consequence, but it should not be there!
55
56 I'd be grateful for any hints that could help me get out of this mess.
57
58 Charles
62 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list