From: Manuel McLure <manuel@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: CUPS -- fails better!
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 20:34:44
1 maxim wexler wrote:
2 >>What I would try is to set up another printer queue,
3 >>using "Raw Printer"
4 >>- this makes cups get out of the way as much as it
5 >>can (even more than
6 >>-l would do.)
9 > Not sure, but if you mean
10 >
11 > sarawak heathen # cat cups_error > /dev/lp0
12 >
13 > then the result is as before: some noise followed by a
14 > blinking trouble light.
15
16 Try
17
18 cat cups_error | unix2dos >/dev/lp0
19
20 If that works, then a raw queue in CUPS will work as well. Set up a new
21 queue in CUPS and define the printer make as Raw and the model as Raw
22 Queue. Then you can use
23
24 cat cups_error | unix2dos | lpr -Praw_queue
25
26 and it should work. The only thing that worries me is that perhaps you
27 wouldn't get a form feed at the end of the print job to eject the page.
28 Somewhere or other I have a little C program I wrote to handle all of
29 this conversion - I'll send it if I find it.
30
31 It does seem that CUPS has an "everything should be Postscript" view of
32 the world and does not handle plain text printing as smoothly as it
33 should (instead it converts text to postscript and then converts that to
34 raster for printing.) It doesn't bother me, but I don't have your
35 printing needs. You *could* use the standard CUPS
36 text->postscript->raster functionality, but I expect that it would be a
37 *lot* slower than plain text printing. Perhaps you should try lprng
38 instead of CUPS as your print spooler - it may be a better option for
39 what you're trying to do.
42 Manuel A. McLure KE6TAW <manuel@××××××.org> <http://www.mclure.org>
43 ...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,
44 no man may kill a cat. -- H.P. Lovecraft
45 --
46 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list