From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: new version of gcc
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 00:52:12
1 On 11/02/2009 03:20 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > I noticed I've been masking gcc beyond version 4.3.2-r3, and have
3 > forgotten why I had it masked.
4 >
5 > I'm updating world right now, and wondered if I were to move up to
6 > most recent gcc (4.4.2), which would be a 5 version jump, what I could
7 > expect in the way of problems.
8 >
9 > Would I need to re-emerge just about everything?
10
11 No, just the c++ programs, because they require the correct version of
12 libstdc++, and that library is part of the gcc package. If the new gcc
13 package includes a new version of libstdc++ (not always) then existing
14 c++ apps will break because they can't find the old version of libstdc++.
15
16 Note that the old libstdc++ will be reincarnated if you use gcc-config
17 to switch back to the old version of gcc.
18
19 Clear as mud?