From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] InitRAMFS - boot expert sought
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 10:38:37
1 Hi,
2
3 I've been looking for simple method to create a simple initramfs to
4 just mount the /usr partition.
5
6 I've found
7 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Basic_initramfs_used_to_check_and_mount_/usr
8
9 which didn't work for me. So, I've modified it, see
10
11 http://www.igpm.rwth-aachen.de/jarausch/Temp/InitRAMFS/
12
13 The last lines of the file 'script_init.sh' are
14
15 # ====================== end doing stuff
16
17 mount -o remount,rw /mnt/root ### WHY are
18 cp /proc/mounts /mnt/root/mtab ### these two lines necessary
19
20 # clean up. The init process will remount proc sys and dev later
21 umount /proc
22 umount /sys
23 # umount /dev # fails, since it's automounted by the kernel
24
25 # switch to the real root and execute init
26 exec switch_root /mnt/root /sbin/init "$@"
29 I first tried this with the lines marked by '###' removed.
30 This worked on one machine but not on another one. There I got
31 'Remounting root filesystem read/write failed'
32 'mount: / not mounted or bad option'
33
34 If I replace line 26 of /etc/init.d/root (openrc-0.9.9.3)
35 mount -n -o remount,rw /
36
37 by
38
39 mount /dev/root -n -o remount,rw /
40
41 it works, as well, i.e. without the two marked lines above.
42 The first mount command finds the mount options in /etc/mtab .
43 Why are the marked lines above necessary on only one of two machines
44 (both of which run the same version of openrc)?
45
46 Many thanks for a hint,
47 Helmut.