From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge all but...
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 16:41:38
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 8:14 AM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Mark Knecht wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Mark Knecht<markknecht@×××××.com>
7 >>> wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>>
10 >>>> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 9:55 AM,<meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
11 >>>>
12 >>>>
13 >>>>> Hi,
14 >>>>>
15 >>>>> is it possible to emerge all missing dependencies of a certain
16 >>>>> application without emerging the application itself? And: Will
17 >>>>> I hurt the system that way?
18 >>>>>
19 >>>>> Best regards,
20 >>>>> mcc
21 >>>>>
22 >>>>>
23 >>>> ???
24 >>>>
25 >>>> emerge -DuN application
26 >>>>
27 >>>> ???
28 >>>>
29 >>>> What am I missing in the question?
30 >>>>
31 >>>> Test it on a clean app with no dependencies missing. It should emerge
32 >>>> nothing. Then emerge -C one dependency and try it again. It should
33 >>>> pick up that dependency but not emerge the app itself.
34 >>>>
35 >>>> You will not hurt your system doing that command.
36 >>>>
37 >>>> - Mark
38 >>>>
39 >>>>
40 >>>>
41 >>> I wanted to follow up on my somewhat cavalier comment a couple of days
42 >>> ago about doing emerge -C on a dependency. It was a bad comment for me
43 >>> to make without adding some discussion around it. This can actually
44 >>> harm your system if you emerge -C the wrong dependency. For instance,
45 >>> emerge -C gcc or python is likely a bad thing to do as you will be
46 >>> unable to build anything to get the system fixed again. However emerge
47 >>> -C jack-audio-connection-kit as a dependency for something like Ardour
48 >>> wouldn't harm the system but would demonstrate what I was talking
49 >>> about.
50 >>>
51 >>> Any new user reading this thread at some future date should ensure
52 >>> that (at a minimum) if they emerge -C anything at all that at least
53 >>> it's not part of @system. emerge should warn of this but it's best to
54 >>> do a little study before pushing the enter key.
55 >>>
56 >>> Cheers,
57 >>> Mark
58 >>>
59 >>>
60 >>>
61 >> It is good that you explained that more. I thought about the same thing but
62 >> thought maybe I was missing something that was mentioned earlier in another
63 >> message.
64 >>
65 >> I wouldn't always count on portage warning before removing a system package
66 >> tho. I tested this by trying to remove python and portage said nothing it
67 >> doesn't say on any other package even one in the world file. Future users
68 >> may want to ask first either here or on the forums before removing something
69 >> that may be questionable.
70 >>
71 >> It may not be a bad idea for a thread with packages that should never be
72 >> removed. Things such as gcc, python, baselayout etc. Maybe a user would
73 >> find that and at least have a general guide. I also think it would be a
74 >> good idea to have the same on the forums as a "sticky" thread that the mods
75 >> can edit from time to time.
76 >>
77 >> Dale
78 >>
79 > Dale,
80 > The last thing I want to do is cause anyone any trouble. From that
81 > point it's easier to just stay quiet all the time and let others more
82 > experienced than myself answer all the questions. However I don't
83 > really want to act that way - taking and never giving.
84 >
85 > I like your idea about lists of packages that should never be
86 > removed. Personally I think a doc doc page somewhere in the
87 > install/maintenance doc group would be good but it would need to be
88 > well maintained. Understanding the absolute minimum number of things
89 > that are required to use emerge and get a package built would be a
90 > good doc, if it doesn't exist somewhere already.
91 >
92 > Personally I'm never 100% sure about anything that's not an
93 > application package I installed myself and is sitting in the world
94 > file. I suspect others - possibly you included - have similar fears at
95 > times.
96 >
97 > Cheers,
98 > Mark
102 I know there are times when I don't say anything because I am unsure
103 about the answer. If I do say something, I usually say I'm not sure or
104 something to that effect. Like you, I never want to make matters worse
105 than they already are for someone. I wouldn't want someone to do me
106 that way either.
107
108 I mentioned this on -dev once when this topic came up. Thing is,
109 portage is not the only package manager being used. Personally I think
110 portage should be the official package manager and if you chose to use
111 something else, you should know what not to do to the system. Portage
112 requires python but I think one of the other package managers uses C or
113 something. Remove C on my rig, no big deal as far as being able to boot
114 and re-emerge a package. Do it on a system with some other package
115 manager and you are in a mess. Point being, it's sort of hard for them
116 to list them since it depends on what package manager you are using.
117
118 There are some packages I installed and still don't know much about.
119 lol Sort of funny in a way. Most of them "just work" so we don't need
120 to know much about them.
121
122 Dale
123