From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is gnome becoming obligatory?
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 12:47:11
1 On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 12:34:03 +0100, Marc Joliet wrote:
2
3 > > I've no idea how good systemd is. It's not been through the normal
4 > > process of choice and selection that other successful packages have.
5
6 What process was that? The one where distro maintainers decide what to
7 include in *their* distros? Isn't that how all packages, including
8 systemd, make it into a distro. Debian even had a public debate and vote
9 on it. You seem to be implying that systemd got into those distros by
10 some stealth process, maybe a trojan or even osmosis?
11
12 > > It was forced on people.
13
14 Nothing has been forced on anyone because no one is forced to accept the
15 distro maintainers chosen defaults.
16
17 > > But being forced to have a binary system
18 > > log, being forced (so I have heard) to have an http server
19 > > running, ...., doesn't make it an attractive package for me.
20 >
21 > *All* of this is "so I have heard". What happened to researching stuff
22 > as the better alternative to speaking out of your ass?
23
24 The systemd debate is different in that instead of fanboys that ignore
25 the facts, the loudest arguers are a hate club that make up their own
26 "facts".
27
28 I'm amazed that all those developers at Debian, Red Hat, Arch and other
29 distros ignored all these facts when they are normally so technically
30 astute. Still, what to experienced developers know when compared to
31 mailing list and forum posters...
35 Neil Bothwick
36
37 Sir! Romulan warbird decloaki\xBB\xAE\xF5\xF7\xFC\xC1 NO CARRIER