From: Xavier Parizet <xav@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is there a "lock daemon" for managing file locking on an NFS server?
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 15:08:37
1 On 02/25/2010 03:27 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Thursday 25 February 2010 15:56:28 Amit Dor-Shifer wrote:
3 >> e.g. 'lockd'?
4 >> If so, which ebuild installs it?
5 >> 10x,
6 >>
7 >> Amit
8 >
9 > I went looking for rpc.lockd and couldn't find it either ;-(
10 >
11 > I fully expected ti to be there so a lot of hunting in /etc/init.d ensued.
12 > Then I remember something about lock.d with the transition to rpcbind from
13 > portmap, but the details escape me now.
14 >
15 > Anyone else remember?
16
17 Actually looking on the web, old (very old) kernels did not start
18 automatically nfs lockd in-kernel daemon. This behaviour was worked
19 around using so-called rpc.lockd or something to start tell the kernel
20 to start it.
21
22 With newer versions of the kernel, lockd is started automatically by the
23 kernel, leading rpc.lockd useless and being removed.
24
25 Please someone correct me if i understood badly what i found on the web.
28 Xavier Parizet
29 YaGB : http://gentooist.com
30 GPG : C7DC B10E FC21 63BE
31 B453 D239 F6E6 DF65 1569 91BF