From: Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Can I send email under linux terminal?
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 20:30:10
1 * Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> [111026 15:24]:
2 > On Wednesday 26 Oct 2011 17:51:08 Todd Goodman wrote:
3 > > * James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> [111026 12:26]:
4 > > > Lavender <lavender_matrix <at> 163.com> writes:
5 > > > > So whenever I want to write a email I have to reboot
6 > > > > my computer and boot the windows system. I'm thinking that
7 > > > > if I can send or receive mails just under terminal, no
8 > > > > need web pages or windows. Also at the same time could
9 > > > > I send mails though the mail server what I use right now under
10 > > > > terminal?
11 > > >
12 > > > A long time ago there was command line syntax called
13 > > > "mail". I have not used it in a long time, but I'm sure
14 > > > the old unix sources are around, but it may require
15 > > > sendmail to be installed. Dunno and my memory is
16 > > > not reliable that far back (hell, last week's memories are
17 > > > a stretch if you really want the truth)....
18 > > >
19 > > >
20 > > > Very useful for a variety of uses....
21 > > >
22 > > > I did find this in portage; it seems useful, but
23 > > > i Have never used this package....
24 > > >
25 > > > Come to think about it, the old mail command line
26 > > > stuffage may have been BSDish, but too foggy to
27 > > > recall the details......
28 > > >
29 > > > http://search.cpan.org/dist/MailTools/
30 > > >
31 > > > hth,
32 > > >
33 > > > James
34 > >
35 > > There's mail-client/mailx which provides mail and is what you're
36 > > thinking of most likely (there were actually a few different
37 > > mail/Mail/mailx command line UNIX MTAs.)
38 > >
39 > > But I wouldn't recommend it for general use (I prefer mutt) though I did
40 > > use it for such for a number of years in the 80s...
41 >
42 > I think that mailx is installed as a dependency on a gentoo system (unless it
43 > is seriously stripped down?)
44 >
45 > Just run mail in a terminal and it'll tell you if there is any messages
46 > waiting for you. To send (outside your OS) you'll need to install and
47 > configure ssmtp, or sendmail, or postfix, or any other MTA in portage. For more
48 > info look at man mailx or man mail.
49 >
50 > --
51 > Regards,
52 > Mick
53
54 Yes, sorry, I meant to type "UNIX MUAs" above. It is just an MUA and
55 not an MTA.
56
57 Todd